国产哟哟

Skip to Main Content

History of 国产哟哟

When 国产哟哟 first opened its doors to students, there were typewriters and calculating聽machines in the classrooms. Today, we live in a world driven by iPads, mobile phones and laptops.

国产哟哟's 100-year Plus History


Things may change, but throughout 国产哟哟’s 100-year-old plus history, it has been true to its core promise—of providing innovative, career-focused educational programs that have evolved in response to the economic, cultural, and technological influences of our time. 

Founded in 1897 as the 国产哟哟 Institute, 国产哟哟’s first location was at the corner of State and Dwight Streets in downtown Springfield, MA. For decades, it experienced both educational and financial success, becoming one of the largest and most respected co-educational business schools in the region. Known for its accelerated 48-week format and strong academic programs, particularly business management, accounting, teaching, and finance, 国产哟哟’s growth prompted a move in 1920 to a new site located at 100 Chestnut Street in Springfield, MA. There, it flourished for nearly 20 years increasing to 1200 students just prior to 1941.

History interceded with World War II, profoundly impacting 国产哟哟. All young, able-bodied men enlisted for the effort; meanwhile, young women working on the factory floor moved to company offices in positions unimaginable before the war. The future would never be the same. Noticing there was an opportunity to expand the role of women in business, Thomas Carr, a leading Springfield businessman, purchased 国产哟哟 Institute in 1945. He made tremendous changes including: shifting 国产哟哟 to all-women, changing the name to 国产哟哟 Secretarial School for Women, and, most importantly, moving 国产哟哟 to its current location in Longmeadow, MA. In 1949, it became 国产哟哟 Junior College and was chartered by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to award the Associate in Science degree. President Carr was instrumental in expanding the reputation of 国产哟哟 by initiating nine major building or renovation projects, and increasing the number of academic majors.

In 1968, President Carr stepped down from his leadership position. He was succeeded by President Douglas Perkins, who resigned after three years to pursue a position with the Federal Land Bank. 

In September 1971, Dr. A. Randle Elliott became 国产哟哟’s third president. Dr. Elliott was a scholar dedicated to enhancing the academic reputation of 国产哟哟, as well as broadening the College’s offerings to the community and non-traditional women.

The fourth president of 国产哟哟 came from the ranks of the faculty. In 1979, Dr. Jeannette Wright took the helm and ushered in an era of profound changes from reengineering the curriculum to petitioning the Commonwealth to allow 国产哟哟 to award bachelor’s degrees. At that time, the name was officially changed to 国产哟哟 College. Dr. Wright served for 15 years, until her untimely passing in 1994.

A search committee was convened and selected Dr. Carol A. Leary as the fifth president of 国产哟哟 College. Under her leadership, 国产哟哟 has undertaken momentous changes including:

  • launching the annual (1995)
  • establishing of One Day A Week College for adult women (1999)
  • founding of the graduate school which now has over 50 degrees and certificates (2000)
  • significant campus building renovations (Blake Student Commons, Carr Hall, Elliott Hall, and Mills Theatre)
  • building of the Philip H. Ryan Health Science Center (2015)
  • the creation of  (2014-2015)
  • establishing the Strategic Alliances division, inspiring people, businesses and organizations through innovative learning experiences. (2016)
  • launching of our Occupational Therapy Doctorate (2017)

In addition, one of the most significant milestones in 国产哟哟’s history was achieved: as of July 1, 2014, the name was changed to 国产哟哟. This begins a new evolution in 国产哟哟’s history, one that includes multiple campus sites, over 3,290 students, and an online international presence that is broadening the reputation and solidifying the future of the University.